In line with European legislation, GEM – MATTHEWS INTERNATIONAL S.R.L. is required to ensure that its website users understand what cookies are and what they are used for, so as to make an informed decision when accepting or refusing their use on personal devices.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text or partial data files that can be stored on your computer (or on any device used to surf the web, such as smartphones and tablets) when you visit a website. A cookie usually contains the name of the website that created it, the cookie’s “lifespan” (i.e., the length of time the cookie will remain stored on your device), and a value, which is usually a unique number generated randomly.
What are cookies used for?
Cookies are used to enhance the use of websites and to fine-tune the browsing experience according to user interests and preferences. Cookies can also be used to speed up future browsing activity. The information collected by this website does not reveal the personal identity of its users.
What type of cookies do we use?
Cookies can be classified in four categories based on their function:
- Strictly necessary cookies
- Functionality cookies
- Performance cookies
- Marketing and advertising cookies (not used)
GEM – MATTHEWS INTERNATIONAL S.R.L. website only uses the first three cookie categories, which do not require consent.
- Required cookies: These cookies are essential in order to allow browsing within the website and the use of its features, such as access to some protected areas. Without these cookies some needed functions such as the log-in to the site or the creation of a shopping cart for online shopping may not be provided.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow a website to remember user choices and preferences (such as username, language and geographical location) in order to enhance and provide more personalized features. They can also be used to grant access to on-demand functions, such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information collected by these cookies can be provided anonymously and cannot track user browsing activity on other websites.
- Performance cookies: These cookies collect information on how visitors use a website, e.g., which pages are visited most often and respective error messages, if any. The information collected by these cookies does not reveal the personal identity of users. These cookies collect aggregate information, which is anonymous and used for the sole purpose of enhancing website performance.
How can I manage or block cookies?
Most internet browsers are initially set to accept cookies automatically. You may change your browser settings to block cookies or to notify you when cookies are sent to your device. There are several ways to manage cookies. Please refer to the instruction manual or to the help page of your browser to set or modify your browser settings.
Disabling the cookies used by this website might affect your browsing experience, preventing you from accessing some of its sections or from receiving personalized information when browsing our web pages.
If you use more than one device to browse and access internet websites (e.g., computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.), you will need to adjust the browser settings of each device according to your cookie preferences.
The lifespan of a cookie (the length of time it remains stored on your device) depends on cookie type: that is, whether it’s a session cookie or a persistent cookie.
– Session (or temporary) cookies: We use session cookies on all our secure pages to assign and save user-specific session ID numbers, which enable uninterrupted navigation across all areas of our website. Session ID numbers are also used to compile internal reports. They do not reveal the personal identity of users and do not leave any retrievable information on the user’s hard drive. Almost all cookies generated by websites are session cookies that expire when web browsers are closed.
– Persistent (or tracker) cookies: The analytics cookies used by websites and third parties are persistent because they are used to identify and trackthe browsing habits of users over the long term, thus enabling the provision of additional features required to personalize websites according to stored and filed contents. These cookies can remain stored on the user’s device for 24 hours, a week, or years, depending on the function they are performing.
By continuing to use our website, you hereby authorize the download of our cookies on your device. Should you no longer wish to receive the cookies required to use our website, you will need to:
– modify your browser settings so as to block our cookies, either partially or fully;
– stop using our website.